Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier 2S CommentaReview
Disclaimer: I have no way of verifying my room’s AQI on my room except for the display on 2s. This is purely what experienced I had over the past month. Buy at your own discretion. This is not really a review. More of a commentary.
I recently purchased Hisense AS-09TR2S 1.0 HP Split Type Air Conditioner, and immediately I was not able to enjoy it. Why? Because there is an ongoing construction at our house and using aircon on an air polluted 5sqm room is a moronic idea. The first night I tried it, yes it was cold, but damn was it suffocating. Then and there, I was caught between a rock and a hard place. Do I stop using my aircon and revert to my loud electric fan on my very hot room? Or push through with the aircon and breathe dust particles? That night I decided on the former and looked for ways to remove dust in the air.
As I went to work, the Xiaomi flyer on my desk called to me (yes I keep a Xiaomi flyer on my desk at work LOL). My browsing led me to Xiaomi Air Purifier 2s. At Php6,999 that was kind of steep. But then I searched for alternatives online and found that this was actually one of the cheapest.
Luckily, as I asked for friends’ opinions one of them actually has one. He told me that this was sulit (worth it), and it has made his sleep substantially better. I read reviews online as well and sans this review from smartairfilters.com, it seems to work.
After work, I went to Trinoma to buy a 2s. Unfortunately, they were out of stock. SM North had no stock as well. I decided to call Xiaomi Gateway before going there, finally, they responded with available! I went there, bought it and went home immediately.
I was very eager to use it and, after assembly, without cleaning my room, I turned it on. AQI was 39. Initially, I thought this was not that bad. As airnow.gov points out 0-50 AQI is good. I think to myself, ‘Inatake nanaman ba ako ng kaartehan?’ (Was I attacked by artistic?). Then I rationalize and defend my impulse buy. The 39 Dust particles are probably more dangerous than outside AQI due to the fact that these come from wood, cement, marble chippings, and other house construction dusts. And so I slept. And boy was that the best night sleep I have had in my room for eleven years. I started living in Quezon City way back in 2008 and that night April 30, 2019. That was the best sleep yet.
Labor Day, May 1, 2019, since I woke up fresh and energized I took out all my stuff in my room, sweeped the room, wiped my electronics and mopped my floor. I wanted to have a very relaxing Vacation day and after cleaning, that was what I had. Breathing deeply in and out on ‘purified air’ is something you have to experience for yourself. It was amazing. Before I go, let me give you a few more things to know about the Xiaomi Air Purifier 2s.
- You only have 3 modes to choose from: Auto, Manual, Night.
- You can connect it remotely via Mi Home App.
- It actually removes unwanted smell. Or at the very least lessens unwanted smell. My room sometimes smell like my dog but when I turn the purifier on, the smell goes away.
- There is no substitute for cleaning your room. Think of the Air Purifier as a maintainer. Though I can confidently say that the dust settlement on my soundbar when the purifier is on for two days vs off is very substantial.
- It gets very loud. As per Sound Meter, it gets to as loud as 60dB on my room which is typically only 20-30dBs
- It is suggested to have your filter replaced every 3 to 6 months. As of May 25, 2019, my Filter is at 85% already. I tend to leave my Purifier on for more or less 12 hours a day. This can get expensive quick as filters costs Php1300.
- It does not cool your air. This is an air purifier not an air conditioner. There is air that comes out the top on Manual mode but don’t expect it to replace your fan/aircon.
- Its power consumption is barely noticeable. This is one of the best feature of this device. It barely made dent on my electric bill. I expected my bill to shoot up by Php2,000+ due to my extensive aircon use and this but my bill this month was barely Php2,000!
- It works. Now as stated earlier, I have no other way to measure Air Quality Index. The reason I say it works is because I have had better sleep ever since I bought this and I don’t have clogged nose when I wake up even if my dog is sleeping beside me (Irish, my dog, is a Pomeranian)